Uncategorized

Something’s Unraveling, Alright

Jolie O’Dell at VentureBeat: Apple’s press conference showed a brand unraveling

While today’s Apple event unveiled a couple new improvements to an expected lineup of products, it also revealed a certain sloppiness that was absent from former, Steve Jobs-led launches.

[…] I think today’s Apple event shows that perfectionism fraying a bit around the edges. The bad pun, the goofy logo, the weird product name — all of it pointed to a leadership that either didn’t understand or didn’t care about consistency in iconography.

Obviously O’Dell is right — Tim Cook is failing to hold Apple to the high standards that Steve Jobs set for the company. Steve Jobs’s Apple never would have used an ambiguous product name like “The new iPad.”

Steve Jobs’s Apple never would have used a silly pun to announce a major new product.

And there’s no way Steve Jobs’s Apple ever would have used some weird special effects on the Apple logo.

Up until now I thought Tim Cook had done a pretty amazing job of taking over as CEO of the most successful company on the planet, but that VentureBeat article has really cast some seeds of doubt in my mind.

Standard

227 thoughts on “Something’s Unraveling, Alright

1. wmsey says:

Thanks. Any way to travel back in time and post this before the original, uninformed piece crawled onto the internet?

• I’ll just weigh in here to say that once I’m idle and rich, I’ll buy a Flower-Power iMac case somewhere at an auction and retrofit it with the latest technology, just like all those Japanese mutant Color Classics.

The Flower-Power iMac was a beautiful, exhuberant, and yes, silly, celebration of Apple’s return from its near-death experience.

• Totally agreed, Chris. The graphic printed iMacs, though short-lived, were totally appropriate for their time. Maybe I’ll find a Blue Dalmation iMac at a flea market some day. :)

• janeshepard says:

Those weren’t bad designs. They were Jobs & Ive making a statement—blowing the doors off the beige-box industry. Excess exposes the soullessness of conventional design, in the same way that sarcasm cuts down puffery.

2. Ljuba says:

Yeah, but would Steve Jobs ever have called the new screen “luscious”? Much less, over and over again!?

3. Solipsism says:

I’m sure I was like many who knew every one of those complaint could be addressed if we only could remember the specific examples that debunk O’Dell’s claims. Excellent job is hunting them down.

4. Gopiballava says:

Apple has consistently used detailed and precise product names. PowerBook 100, PowerBook 160, PowerMacintosh 8500, etc.
    Loom at their current lineup, and tell me that iPad 3 wouldn’t fit in better:
    MacBook Pro
    MacBook Air
    iMac
    Mac Pro
    Apple TV
    iPhone 4S
    iPad

Only a fool could argue that “iPad 3″ doesn’t fit the pattern. The idea of making a major rev to a product without changing the name? They’d never do something as drastic as completely redesign the chassis on a laptop, go from pressed sheet metal to milled blocks of metal, removable to fixed battery, etc. without changing the name, right?

Anybody remember the mid 1990s when they changed model numbers to indicate a machine had a bigger hard drive, more RAM, or was sold at a different retailer? That was pretty lame.

• I’m not sure what your argument is, Gopiballava. Since the original iMac, Apple has generally NOT changed the name of Mac models nor iPods when a new version was introduced. The iPhone is the one major exception.

The MacBook Pro and iMac been updated many times without changing the name, as was the case with the PowerBook once the G3 version came out. The way the various models /versions are differentiated is by the year they came out. The iMac still has the same name it did when I bought my first one in 2002–it’s also the same name as the original iMac. (The only official changes were iMac DV, DV+, and SE in 1999-2000 and the iMac G5.)

The best example, though, is the iPod Nano. It has undergone many drastic changes, much more than the iPad has, yet the name has stayed the same. For purposes of differentiation–mostly for accessories like cases, one can use “Nth Generation,” but that was never the official name. The Apple Store just has the iPod Nano.

• iPad 3 wouldn’t fit*.

*When you consider that the iPhone 4S is the odd one out now. This makes much more sense in branding. Look on the back of your iPad 2… mine says ‘iPad’, no number. Fact is the iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S that I’ve used have ‘iPhone’ on the back, not once do I recall it being any different.

None of the product names indicate the internal versioning, only function. You have to dig deeper to get numbers now. Apple devices are more often now referred to by generation or year, see iPod, Apple TV. On my Macbook Pro System Information shows, 15-inch, Early 2011. You have to get a System Report to see that it means, MacBookPro8,2.

• Frank says:

Seriously? What were the unibody MBP’s called? The MacBook Pro 2?

When the iMac went from CRT to LCD did they call it the iMac 2? What iMac are we at now? The iMac 7?

Yea that sounds good

• Goldor says:

Now that you’ve written them down like that, I just can’t wait for them to finish it off with “The new iPhone”.

• I don’t get your point, as you seem to be making contradictory statements… No, it wouldn’t fit in!
      If anything, the iPhone 4S name stands out as too complicated. The iMac I’m typing thsi on is a Rev. A 27” Core i5 model, but what does that make it generation-wise? An iMac 6 (after the G3, G4, G5, white Intel, unibody Intel and widescreen unibody Intel)? That would be too confusing and ambiguous, as the first Intel-based iMac looked just like the iSight equipped (Rev. C) iMac G5. The same goes for the 3G/3GS, 4G/4GS, iPod Color (remember those? Were they 4G or 4.5G iPods?), iPod with Video (and what about the 5G and 5.5G monikers?), iPod mini 2G, etc…
      Apple doesn’t even tout processor speeds and RAM capacity in iOS devices, but in the future they will probably be distinguished by processor model (A5 vs. A5X), of which Apple seems to be very proud, and year of release, and I’m fine with that.

• Chris says:

The MacBook Air just got a speed bump to better processors, backlit keyboards and the previous generation got an all-new angular design. Is this revision of the MacBook Air the MacBook Air 3?

• speaker2wolves says:

Where is the Mac Pro 3? Mac Pro 4?
      How about MacBook Air 2, MacBook Air 3?

Maybe the changed the name because they’re about to announce the iPad in two sizes? Perhaps it is now the name of a LINE, not a product?

• I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. None of the following have numbers at the end:
      MacBook Pro
      MacBook Air
      iMac
      Mac Pro
      Apple TV
      iPod classic
      iPod nano
      iPod shuffle

The new Apple TV wasn’t “Apple TV 3″. It was just “Apple TV” and no one made a fuss about it. My MacBook Pro isn’t “MacBook Pro 7″ or something.

The only remaining product with a number is “iPhone 4S”. Who wants to bet that the next iPhone is just “the new iPhone”? You don’t really think that they’ll release “iPhone 12″ someday, do you?

• Ummmm…? The “only a fool” bit was sarcasm, right? (There’s never a “;-)” around when you need one.)

BTW, you forgot “iPod Classic/Touch/Nano/Shuffle”, “Mac Mini”, and “Apple TV”—again, no version numbers in these product names, either.

5. I thought there was something strange about that article of Jolie O’Dell at VentureBeat.

Now I realize what it must have been: ignorance or link bait…

6. raptus says:

Thanks for doing this. I thought exactly the same when I read that sensationalist article at VB, but was too lazy to do anything about it.

Also, that 30/70 % split of product/branding O’Dell postulates really ticked me off. It’s unbelievable how many smart people will close their eyes to reality and just dump hateful junk in big-audience channels. Apple is the only big company that keeps the dream alive. The dream of a making products that don’t suck, and don’t compromise.

• Exactly. Apple makes products THAT DON’T SUCK. In the world where the competitor’s computers break in 6 months, how can any sane, intelligent person use anything BUT Apple?

7. Brought a smile to my face.

Haters gunna hate and that’s okay, but posts like these are so much more satisfying than simply glaring at the idiots and mumbling incoherently.

8. I agree with your point BUT in all fairness you should point out that there never was an “iMac 2″or other “iMac X” before every “new iMac” (and they never sold simultaneously, except for the iMac G3 and the iMac G4).
    I agree that it would quickly become ridiculous to use rev numbers in product names, and to be exact the only iPhone that had this was the 4 (#2 was 3G, #3 3GS, #5 4S and following that pattern the #6 could be called 4G…), but the new iMac comparison is a little far-fetched.

• godofbiscuits says:

She (the original author) *had* to make the point about the untucked shirt, so she could go on to streeeeeeeetch the idea that the Apple logo was now “tie-dyed” and bring it all ’round to draw some chaotic hippie imagery.

• The tie-dyed thing was a stretch indeed. Though to continue with the theme, Apple actually did tie-dyed for real back during the flower power / rip-mix-burn days.

9. Michael Carson says:

How are any of those things bad. Calling it the new iPad isn’t it’s name, it is iPad, giving them numbers is strange. Macs aren’t sold as MacBook Pro 8S. When the iPhone 3G came out I was astounded, then the iPhone 3GS… iPad 2, bad name.

The Apple logo used to come as a rainbow, what is wrong with some effects and colour, grey is a bit depressing after a bit.

Finally, everyone (that I know at least) loves to groan at a pun.

10. HLX says:

Haha that was the MacBook air pun I was trying to think of yesterday when reading that article.

There does seem to be a commonly held, casual view of the Apple brand as always being about minimalism or austerity. Which isn’t really a problem (as it’s usually viewed positively), until you want to write an article that observes supposed, sudden post-Jobs changes in the brand.

11. Pingback: project deathstar » Blog Archive » Tim Cook sucks

12. I know this use of the word “pun” in your article is because of the VB article but I won’t honor that piece with another click through. But the word is resolutionary is a neologism and not a pun.

13. Well played, sir!

I enjoyed listening to Jolie on TWiT this past week. But the reality is that until somebody can create a phone, tablet, or computer that can actually compete, Apple going to continue to dominate. Jolie’s position is simply a result of her realizing that Google, Samsung, et al. are not capable of coming remotely close to the greatness Apple’s pushing out these days.

Again, great job!

14. Corlynn says:

It’s so satisfying when someone else takes your exact argument, and places it up for the world to see, so that you don’t have to. Saves me the trouble, and actually reaches an audience of people I never could have dreamed of reaching. Thank you sir, you have read my mind (even the sarcastic tone of it. Kudos for that).

15. There was a specific message in the coloured logo. It contained the cropped image of the splashes of colours on the huge white posters that decorated the Buena Vista Centre. (Not tie dyed). The 6 colours were those of the original Apple logo. Tim Cook reiterated the message on stage.

A blank canvas – splashes of colour – paint – create
    The old 6 colour Apple logo – the Apple II – colour display – create
    The new Apple – the new iPad – retina display – touch – create

The message: Apple is still Apple.
    Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t create on iPad.

The iPad announcement respected Apple’s established language. Apple imbues its important communications with layers of implication. This is the opposite of sloppy. The silly pun is not new, it’s consistent. It’s disarming and boastful at the same time – familiar, friendly. Tim’s outfit was exactly right – informal and unobtrusive, to not distract from the message. This too is consistent, because Steve always dressed the same for one reason, to make the clothes disappear into the background so as to devote 100% of the foreground to the message.

Finally, it’s time the pundits realised that Steve’s greatest creation was Apple itself because… It just works. They are looking for imperfections that aren’t there.

• I too thought the Apple logo treatment was actually quite beautiful. Apple’s done the white logo on a bright multicolored background a ton, so I thought reversing the treatment was a clever nod to the 6-color logo while staying consistent to their latest branding.

16. Alan says:

“a leadership that either didn’t understand or didn’t care about consistency in iconography.” – O’Dell

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.” – Emerson

17. Don’t forget that Tim Cook’s shirt was untucked! Sure, they sold 55 million iPads last year and 37 million “disappointing” iPhone 4S’s, and their market cap broke $500 billion and made them the most valuable company in the world, but that was *before* the CEO started wearing his shirt untucked. Clearly, their brand is unraveling now and it’s the beginning of the end. They probably won’t even be in business two years from now.

(Sarcasm aside, she really did cite Cook’s untucked shirt as an “inconsistency” – whatever that even means. Inconsistent with what?)

18. mikejaz2 says:

Oh, and clearly, Steve Jobs would have never released an immature technology to the market…”Bump”…”AirTunes”…”the NEW Apple TV”…

19. Love this post. I read her article and cringed.

It’s not just her unfortunately, it’s a majority of tech journalists. They all find little things to knit pick and be disappointed about. The fact is Apple is still building amazing products and I believe will continue to well into the future.

What’s hilarious to me is when they talk about what Steve would or wouldn’t do, I just can’t help but think: “How much time did you spend with Steve Jobs every day?” And if the answer is more time than Tim Cook did I’ll think about giving what they are saying some credence.

20. Tom Moore says:

I just go back to the iPhone intro keynote, where Steve first unveiled the prototype: a big iPod with a rotary dial on it. If anything, Tim Cook is underperforming in the goofiness department.

21. JP Valin says:

They just don’t get it. Steve left behind a legacy and directive of greatness, nothing about not diversifying the communication of the product or the brand.

Those comments were based on Apple and Steve Jobs, the icons. Clearly not on historical fact.

For the next few years, critics will be predicting Apple’s fall, ad nauseum, hoping that when they do, Apple will happen to fall and they can say, ‘See, I was right.’

Keep f*cking that chicken, haters.

22. Sherman says:

In the battle over idiotic pronouncement and data, data always wins. I love that a graphic designer supplied us with the data. Thanks!

23. Justin Martin says:

I also assumed that Steve Jobs was probably involved in much of the presentation that was given on Wednesday. It isn’t like all of the the products that were released have only been developed in the last few months.

24. Stacy says:

O’Dell achieved page views to satisfy VB management and their advertisers, which is all those pieces are about. If it were about competent journalism VB would have hired an actual journalist in possession of actual talent and something relevant to say.

So as a fellow Apple customer (OMG FANBOY LOL!) I enjoyed your well-researched and -written riposte, but I have to wonder if the better response in these cases is no response. Articles like O’Dell’s merit nothing more than the gentle sounds of tumbleweeds and crickets. In my opinion.

25. Pingback: Apple's Year-Long Story

26. Do a Google image search of ‘paint splatter Apple logo’. The first result should be the inite to the original iPad launch – “Come see our latest creation”.

27. NotKatsu! says:

Wow, Dalmation and Flower Power iMacs. I had forgotten about those! I actually hope Apple *goes* with the new light-washed rainbow apple image as a real corporate logo.

28. Valan says:

Another advantage to the new name is that they can easily break out of the yearly cycle of release.
    I expect the next gen simply to have a better SOC CPU.

29. One of the things to keep in mind with all of this, is that the iPhone naming convention really resulted from the perceived need to identify the second gen version as 3G compatible. After that, it was branding. The iPad had no need for said branding, but they followed the new “convention” anyway.

Given the rest of Apple’s lineup, it made sense to fall back to “normalcy” for the iPad. As others have already pointed out, it’s a sure bet that the next-gen of the iPhone will drop the number.

• @NukemHill:

Last night, I thought about another reason the iPhone may continue to use version numbers for a while: there are multiple versions (now three) being sold at the same time. That’s not been the case with the Macs or iPods–or the iPad, until now. (Yes, Apple sells “refurbished” older models, but not in their retail stores.)

30. Zachary Thomas says:

You forgot to mention that Steve Jobs would also _never_ have appeared on stage so casually dressed as that “rumpled executive,” Tim Cook.

31. Oluseyi says:

@raptus:
    «Also, that 30/70 % split of product/branding O’Dell postulates really ticked me off.»

Marco Arment (of Instapaper fame) posted a really strong essay, I think, on that topic this morning: http://www.marco.org/2012/03/08/learning-from-competition. I quote:
    «They’re not fanboys. They’re not brainwashed by “marketing”. Your competitors’ customers aren’t passing on your product because they’re stupid or irrational. … They’re choosing your competitors for good reasons, and denying the existence of such good reasons will only ensure that your product never overcomes them.»

Leave the believers in “70% marketing” be. They’ll never understand why the product continues to defy their expectations.

32. Eric says:

Tim Cook after reading Venturebeat…

Hello, is this Jolie O’Dell? Tim Cook here. Look, doing a Keynote in the shadow of Steve Jobs is just like riding a bike. Only it’s a lot harder to put playing cards in the spokes.

33. Pingback: Oh Snap, How Do You Like Them Apples? « coregeek

34. It’s good branding, but I’m not sure what they’ll call next year’s version. Will it be the new new iPad.

Will this iPad be the old new iPad?

Just a tad confusing

• They’ll call it “iPad,” just as they have done for over 10 years with the iPods. The iPod Nano is in its 6th “generation,” often with drastic differences between generations, but the name has always been, “iPod Nano.” In recent years (since at least 2001), the only products that have had numbers in the name have been the iPhone, Apple TV (note though that the “new” Apple TV is still Apple TV 2), and one version of the iPad. No iMacs, MacBooks (of any kind), PowerBooks, Mac Pros, iPods, etc have had numbers.

35. Pingback: Off-brand? I think not. – budesigns

36. Jack Hoyd-Gigg Ng says:

Good read, and also the comments as well. It’s just dawn on me that Apple abandoned the numbering scheme after iPad 2 because Apple wants to define and own the tablet category as iPad, just like how the iPod did it when back then when there’s hardly any competitor came even close. So when someone referred to an mp3 player, they would call it iPod. Like “listening to my iPod”, “just bought an iPod”, I know a lot of people called their cheap mp3 players iPod, they simply think mp3 player = iPod. But the effect is that when most people think of buying a mp3 player, they’d get an iPod.

So evidence from this week’s Keynote presentation, Apple is firnly leading the post-PC era, with the iPad, and Tim repeatedly shouted “iPad” when he told us what most users prefer to use for gaming, emailing, etc etc. What they want is whenever people think of or refer to a thin tablet in their hands, they call it the iPad.

Apple didn’t do it with the iPhone because the smartphone competition space is so fierce?? I think the incremental number naming is effective to publicise that something is NEW. I think this numbering thing all started from Microsoft’s Windows 7, then, Apple called their phone iPhone 4 (correct me here if I got the timeline wrong). It suddenly became fashionable. Browser hipster Firefox 4, 5, 6, 7 then followed. You see, originally Apple had no intention of this incremental numbering for marketing, as there wasn’t an iPhone 2. The 3G model just so everyone knows it runs on 3G networks (big thing at the time). It never meant 3rd generation. And the 3GS just meant it’s faster.

Would we see this year’s iPhone be called the new iPhone?

37. MisterK says:

You missed the time that Steve Jobs introduced three iBooks (before MacBooks). The headline on the website read “Trilemma”.

38. RandO says:

“Tim Cook is failing to hold Apple to the high standards that Steve Jobs set for the company. Steve Jobs’ Apple never would have used an ambiguous product name like “The new iPad.”

Pretty positive it was Steve Jobs who gave “The new iPad” its name… He left behind years of instructions for Tim Cook/Apple.

Tim Cook isn’t failing…

39. Just to kind of sidestep the sarcasm of the original post, I saw it mentioned on Twitter that taking the number out of the name would suggest this will be a continual line of products on a par with their desktop/laptops (after all, it’s just a Macbook Air, not a Macbook Air 4 or whatever).

I also miss Steve. Uniqueness has a way of being rare.

40. Sometimes it is really hard to keep up with the expectations especially when you replace someone like Steve Jobs.. He is one of a kind .. IMHO , It is too early too judge if he’s doing a good job or not .. A couple of more releases can say ,.. :)

41. I wrote the day after Cook’s presentation on how the media focused on all the wrong things and asked all the wrong questions. What does it say when the industry’s top tech writers are more concerned about Apple’s brand image and the iPad specs than they are about the direction the iPad is taking the industry itself (or better, where it’s taking us?). It’s ludicrous, and no article demonstrated that better than O’Dell’s. Thanks for pointing out just how ridiculous her article really was.

42. Wow, I didn’t know about these changes. They are so small but they really hit to the core of Apple’s values. Apple’s theme has always been simplicity above all else. Special effects are not simplicity. Puns are not simplicity. ‘The new iMac’ is too many words.
    It will be interesting to see what happens in the future if Apple’s values stay lost. It’s hard for me to believe that one man could have had this much impact. However, these mistakes seem like backlash to years of forced conservatism. They better pull themselves together.

43. The single astonishing fact [displayed by Apple Inc management at the launch] is the fundamental and compelling message, passed down [as if a component of DNA]: A continuous mantra [if you will] of simplicity and excellence in delivery.

44. I read Steve Jobs’ biography and was astounded by how innovative, imaginative and entrepreneurial he was. I’m a little unsure as to how I feel about Apple’s future. I don’t think that it’s impact will continue with the same profundity as was created by Jobs.

• me too, I really enjoyed the read. He was such a fun, bizarre character (although, no wonder people that had to deal with him were frustrated)

good post, spot on

45. My favorite awkward marketing moment of Steve Jobs was sometime in the late 90′s or early 00′s, when he was on stage for a keynote, introducing the new Powerbooks, and said the phrase “Now we have the sex.” No one is infallible, even Steve. I love this post. Apple lives on, and at least for the moment, the legacy remains intact. Anyone who says otherwise is a bit too eager to pick the carcass of something still very much alive.

46. I couldn’t agree more with you on the Apple logo part. In fact, their original logo had colored layers on it and Steve Jobs was the person instrumental in changing it to the current one when he returned to the company in 1997. The ‘zen’ like beauty and simplicity of the current logo is Job’s legacy. He wouldn’t even have altered it for Bob Dylan. The (Product) Red in the iPod brand is a case in the point.

A change in attitude of the company will reflect not only in little things like logos and names but also in product lines and their specs. Until Jony Ive is there at Apple, one can safely assume that the design element won’t be too affected. A slight change of personality is inevitable, though I sincerely hope that Tim Cook and team don’t go too far what we’ve come to love about Apple.

47. “How is the recovery work going?”
    “One of the archives was retrievable”
    “Good what data did you manage to pull from it?”
    “Well that’s the thing… the data tells us it was from 326 years ago – the year 2012 to be precise – but that makes no sense”
    “What do you mean?”
    “Well everyone knows what was happening all over the world in that year: the great economic collapse, wars all over the world, children starving by the tens of thousand each day – it was the most violent and turbulent period of change in human history with a massive global social, political, spiritual, philosophical awakening occurring all over the planet”
    “Yes… and?”
    “Well, it’s just that the recovered data just shows people endlessly discussing the importance of the name given to a small consumer electronic device”
    “I see….. yes that is odd….”

48. Pingback: Viva La Resolution!

49. I get the feeling O’Dell had this written out before the event even started. Most critics do that anyway for just about everything – food, film, clothes. Nice work if you can get it! ;)

50. Well, I think we should see what Cook can do with the business side of things. True, he is more tacky than Jobs, but thats not really what makes the world go round, now is it?

• renstein says:

If you want to see what Cook can do with the business side, take a look at Apple now. He has been running the business and manufacturing side for years already. As intricate as the hardware and software in Apple’s products is, the manufacturing apparatus that Cook has put together is equally impressive.

• @renstein:

I can’t remember who told the story, but, at the unveiling of the iPad, everyone expected it to cost about $1000. When Jobs said, “$499,” there was a gasp in the audience. They guy telling the story (could be John Gruber) said, “How can they do that?” His neighbor said, “Two words: Tim Cook.” Tim Cook is why no once can really compete with the iPad at the same price: they parts just aren’t available or they are very expensive. Why do you think that almost no other manufacturer has true “unibody” laptops? Apple bought essentially all of the sophisticated computer-controlled milling machines that were available, had them shipped to and installed in the factories in China and trained the workers and engineers. The manufacturer couldn’t have afforded to take that risk, so Apple did. This is one of the uses of Apple’s cash pile. IF Apple is planning on bringing out yet another produt, they will likely invest a lot of money in the tooling, parts and factories up front. It could be billions.

51. I wrote about the New iPad name as well on my blog. Glad to see someone finally agrees with something I say ;)

That “Thinnovation” pun made me laugh a bit.

52. Pingback: Something’s Unraveling, Alright | slopestreetcats.com

53. I knew there was a reason I always preferred HP, it seems that people forget for every Apple hit, there were to buried misses. The hits were impressive, but the facts remain the same.

54. You are absolutely right! The lack of perfectionism at Apple is what concerns me. Steve Jobs was a perfectionist in every area of product design & development which is why Apple and it’s products flourished! Tim Cook lacks product finesse and so I too doubt iPad & iPhone sales will be eaten up by Androids. Blackberries, and other tablet PC’s

55. Pingback: Apple without Steve Jobs « Global news and views

56. Pingback: Apple’s press conference showed a brand unraveling | VentureBeat « turnings :: daniel berlinger

57. Do somebody care about the names other than a blogger? People do care about the amazing and nonparallel innovations Apple continue to make in the computing world. Doesn’t matter this is under Steve Jobs or Tim Cook!

58. Mike Manzano says:

It’s stupid decisions like these that keep me buying Windows PCs. Microsoft would never be vague like this.

59. I thought the announcement was more or less par for the course. I never really got the “cult” of Steve Jobs and I’m not surprised the Cook’s announcement is getting compared to a Jobs-led announcement.

60. The new era of Apple will definitely be something to watch. Marketing was the key ingredient to getting Apple to the top of the ladder, the question is the magick of Steve Jobs replicable?

61. I think they wanted to go away of numbering the iPad. When they update the MacBook Pro, they don’t add “Now the MacBook Pro 10.” They are probably moving away from numbering the iPad because they are probably coming out with a smaller version in the fall. Just a thought. Like Tim Cook said, when the year is up, we will know if this is being sloppy or planning.

62. Pingback: iPad Pre-Orders Sell Out In Two Days

63. edgepixel says:

I’ve been writing of the same thing on my blog.

Yup, I definitely think the Apple without Steve Jobs will be a different Apple. It is inevitable. Of course, Apple is not the creation of Steve Jobs alone, but he was the key ingredient, THE CATALYST for many people’s talent. In the future Apple will slowly morph into Dell or HP or Sony. Maybe not the whole way, but they will surely take a few steps in that direction. For some people, these things we point out now are tiny insignificant details. But they could add up, as the new managerial team will grow more confident.

64. Stuart says:

You give Steve Jobs too much credit in my opinion.

Was he a designer? No. He was a business man. There are other talented people at Apple fulfilling those roles, who are still there.

65. Pingback: Tim Cook is the wrong man to run Apple | Post Williamsburg

• I don’t know, the original Apple Developer Connection site was pretty bad. I’m not sure the developer portal has ever had the same level of polish that Apple gives to their public materials (I imagine you’ve seen iTunes Connect…)

• Eric says:

See, even at Apple this is what happens when engineers are allowed to design anything.

But where is there evidence of Flash in that page?

66. I was the last one in my family to own an apple product, and so far, I’ve been completely impressed. I hope apple maintains it’s integrity now that Steve is gone. I may never go back to PC. :)

67. It’s impossible for anyone to do it like Steve did. He was the founder of the company. His soul was engraved into it. Apple will probably go on to continue being a great company, but nothing compared to what it would be with another 30 years of Steve Jobs leadership.

68. Interesting. It is hard to step into another person’s shoes. The comparisons are inevidable. But Steve Jobs is dead. The company must go on. If they are to survive, they must innovate- in marketing as well as technology. To remain frozen in ‘steve jobs’ mode would kill them. The ultimate proof will be MONEY. Until then, no comment!

69. Thank you for this! I read that article last week as well as was a bit irked, but didn’t have the imperial data to refute it. Thanks for doing the legwork!

Also, his comment about what Tim Cook was wearing was stupid. If Tim had worn a suit and tie, people would complain that the company is losing the personal, friendly touch. If he wore a black turtleneck they would say he’s trying too hard to BE Steve Jobs. What he wore was a happy medium, and I think worked quite well.

70. Pingback: The Beginning of the End… « instantbight

71. I bought a PowerBook G4 when it came out. About 4 months ago, I let it retire peacefully. It still works, but not very fast. A few years years after I got the PowerBook, I bought an iBook to travel with, as my PowerBook’s sleek encasement was something I planned to keep pristine… And it still is. I beat my iBook up pretty badly and (ab)used it every day, stored too much garbage on it, overloaded it with programs, and recently had to have the HD hooked up to a bench to pull off the data I actually needed. Though my poor iBook was put through serious surgery, the thing WORKED once I cleaned it out, albeit a little too slow now. After all, it is over 8 years old. There is NO PC that can last that amount of time. I admit that during my Mac emergency, I was forced to get a cheap PC laptop to do my work for the interim. However, when the 6-12 months of use on this laptop expire, I will be back on a Mac again. Yee and haw.

72. Pingback: Apple Without Steve Jobs « @mburbie

73. Never said you did, just listing the multiple reasons why I choose to moderate comments. This post has gotten over 300 comments, a third of which weren’t approved (not counting spam). That’s how it goes on a long thread…

74. Agree that logos with spl effects were used previously under jobs as well and there is nothing wrong with that. But the name ‘new ipad’ is ambiguous because previous generations of the tablet used a suffix(iPad 2) unlike iMacs and iPods which never used any suffixes and hence the name made sense.

75. Thanks god somebody care to write this, sincerely I think its time half the media that’s covering tech moves to cover fashion, were the show its more important than the products (Chanel Icebergs, they would be all over that) they are so lost that I have seen the new iPad being called disappointing, with that screen! yeah.

76. Pingback: Tim Cook está bajando el nivel | carthesian #

77. Pingback: ¿Ha cambiado Apple desde que Steve Jobs no está? Ni un poquito en iPhoneros.com

78. Pingback: Something’s Unraveling, Alright | The Random Collection Something’s Unraveling, Alright | Stuff that Mark has found on the internet

79. Pingback: Interview with Matt Thomas… « instantbight